My husband is a fan of Asian food, but me, not so much. In attempt to make him happy, I decided to try a Pineapple Fried Brown Rice mix-up for this edition of Tried it Tuesday. I love pineapple and the only thing I like about Asian food is the fried rice, so I figured it would be a good combination. And it was!
It’s much healthier than take-out and takes less than 20 minutes to make!
Here is what you’ll need to get started
I used Boil in Bag rice because I always seem to screw up rice when I cook it. It should be so simple, but I tend to overcook it to the point where it hardens in the pot. Boil in Bag rice does not leave any room for error here!
You will first want to begin the rice so it is cooking the longest.
Next, you’ll mix together your sauce in a small bowl and set aside for later.
You are going to want to grate 2 carrots. This is the hardest part of the whole dish so I recruited my husband to peel and grate the carrots for me. If it was up to me, I would buy pre-bagged grated carrots, but I couldn’t find any at the store. He did a good job though!
In a large skillet, mix your corn, peas, and carrots over olive oil and cook 3-4 minutes. You can also add in a little minced garlic if you’d like here.
After just a few minutes, you are all set to add in the rice, pineapple, and sauce. Mix it all together and cook for about 2 more minutes and you’re done!
You can definitely eat this alone or as a side. I added some pre-cooked orange chicken that I picked up from the grocery store earlier that day (I’m a cheater), but you could always add your own homemade grilled or orange chicken to complete the dish!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups brown rice
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced pineapple, canned or fresh
- Minced garlic to taste (optional)
- Cook rice as instructed. I used Boil in Bag rice so it took approximately 10 minutes to cook in a boiling pot.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, peas, and corn. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic if desired.
- Stir in rice and pineapple.
- Add sauce mixture and stir until mixed throughout.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe makes about 4 servings. Enjoy!
This recipe was adapted from Damn Delicious.