This high protein pumpkin breakfast is Fall perfection! All you have to do is throw the ingredients in the crockpot before you go to bed, sleep for 8 hours and wake up to enjoy delicious Pumpkin Protein Overnight Oatmeal and your house smelling like Fall!
It’s a filling breakfast that is loaded with protein from a surprise secret ingredient!
Now, I know I said in this post loaded with apple recipes, that you would be forgetting about pumpkin this Fall, but this pumpkin recipe is irresistible. And, what is Fall without a new delicious pumpkin recipe anyway?
When I received the packet of Hemp Hearts from Manitoba Harvest, I just knew that a pumpkin oatmeal would be the perfect way to use them for a high protein breakfast dish.
The Hemp Hearts are the secret ingredient in this recipe, loading it with over 10 grams of protein per serving! They contain 10 grams of Omegas per serving, and they are lower in carbs than flax and chia seeds. Hemp Hearts are the heart of the hemp seed and they taste similar to a sesame seed or pine nut. You can sprinkle them over just about anything…salad, oatmeal, chicken.
I decided to give them a try by cooking them in the oatmeal and it turned out great! Give this Fall-friendly recipe a try and be sure to enter the giveaway for a chance to win your own packet of Hemp Hearts to try!
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 pouch Manitoba Hemp Hearts (optional- but this is the secret ingredient that adds more protein to the recipe!)
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (can substitute skim or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Add all ingredients, except cinnamon, to crockpot
- Stir ingredients in crockpot
- Turn on crockpot to low heat and cook for 8-9 hours.
- Stir before serving warm. Add sprinkle of cinnamon to top of oatmeal if desired.
- You may be able to use old fashioned oats, but they cook faster, so you may have to reduce your cooking time = less sleep. I also added a few chopped pecans on top of mine!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Open to US and Canada residents only who have a physical address (not a PO box).
One prize per person. If you win this giveaway, and have already won another prize from Manitoba Harvest through another blog, please disclose that you have already won so we can choose another winner.
Use the promo code HHSP1015 for 20% off the entire web store at www.manitobaharvest.com. Promo code expires December 31, 2015.